Thursday, July 19, 2007

Copyright Law

In the Chapter 10 of our textbook, the most important issue is the copyright law. Personally, I think teachers must be very careful and clear about this issue in our teaching career to avoid copyright violation.

In nowadays, it is very easy for a person like a teacher to get a lot of teaching and learning resources from the internet. On the one hand, this makes resource sharing easier. That is to say, we can simply "copy and paste" and then get what we need from the internet. On the other hand, it's very easy to break the copyright law by doing this because you may be taking resources away without the permission from the author of the website. Therefore, it's very important for a teacher to understand and be familiar with the copyright law and know how to avoid copyright violation.

In order to do this, before we plan to use any resource from other people’s websites such as blog, wikipage or webquest, think about the following questions first:
1. Can you directly use the resources you find on those websites in your teaching? Do you need to notify the author of the website you are using his materials in your teaching?
2. How can you use this resource in your teaching?
3. Can you find a good way to transform those resources into something you understand so that you can teach to your students?
4. Have you referenced or given the credit to the author or website from which you get the teaching and learning resources?

Similarly, for the original work done by yourself as a teacher, you may also establish copyright for it. According to the textbook, it's very simple to implement. We just need to provide a notice of copyright with a notation as in the following form: © 2004 John Doe. For example, for me, I can use the copyright notation: © 2007 Fang Zhang.

2 comments:

Jose said...

One thing that is also useful to understand is that if the content in questions is on a website, the best thing to do is just have the students go to the original website. That is what I do when I use Java Applets in my classroom. I just go to the site that has the applet I want to use and I run it from there. I show the applet through the projector and it saves me a ton of time instead of having to use the chalkboard.

Jose said...

I forgot to mention that the above is the alternative to trying to take the content and incorporating it into your own site.